This blog is born out of curiosity and sadness. As you will learn as we go on, my life went to crap in August of 2017 very unexpectedly. I’ve been around the self-help industry since 1995 when I was first introduced to it. I’ve read books, worked for thought leaders in the industry, and received coaching. Some has greatly influenced my life – okay, mainly one-man – Tony Robbins. His teachings have made a world of difference for me. One of the many things Tony teaches is immersion. I decided in July of 2018 to test out the effects of 100 of the top self-help books in one year on my skeleton of a life. We’ll get more into what happened exactly as we go along.
For posterity’s sake, let’s mark where I am when I’m starting so we can measure any progress I make along the way.
- I’m single with six kids.
- I have a pleasant divorce from my ex-husband.
- I’m 50ish pounds overweight.
- I am not making my own income independent of my ex-husband.
- I’m not in my own home.
- I’m in debt.
- I’m sad, confused, lonely, and feel lost a majority of the time.
- I don’t treat myself like someone who loves themselves.
- I’m not the mom I dreamed I would be.
- I suffer from anxiety – or I’m recovering from suffering from anxiety. However, you look at that.
I’d like to have:
- A genuine relationship with true love that is reciprocated.
- My own thriving business that helps women empower themselves by taking leaps of faith.
- Debt Free
- 138lbs at the highest
- Feeling happy most of the time even if I am still single.
- Do things with my kids that are fun, spend more time with them where I am active and engaged.
- Feel okay with the divorce from my ex-husband- be at peace with that area of my life.
- Be anxiety free.
- Have my own home.
- Practice great self-care and have a great love for myself!
So now we have a road map of where I am and where I’d like to be. The only tools I’m taking on my journey is a list I made up in a couple hours while sitting on the couch feeling sorry for myself. The list may change but the goal won’t. 100 books in a year- all on the same subject- how to improve ME.
The main idea was inspired by one thought. Motivational and self-help books, blogs, vlogs, tv shows, therapist, whatever are super motivational, but I’m a realist. I want to know the HOW. One of the things Tony preaches a lot is to find a role model and ask them HOW they did something. Most of these people give you one-liners of things they did as if one line of action is going to give me enough direction to u-turn my life in the direction I want. The second something goes haywire I start to doubt. Is this normal? Do you think this type of setback happened for them too? The downward spiral of self-doubt kicks in and whatever progress I made is usually lost. So the idea is to share all the ups, downs, uglies, and embarrassing things that normally never get shared as I go along this journey. Feel free to grab some popcorn and watch as I am sure to make a fool out of myself along the way.
So let’s get started!